Hidden Springs Homestead may earn a commission for purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn More.
With prep and cook time ready in just 30 minutes, these healthy smothered cube steaks puts the seal on the weeknight dinner meal.
More Delicious Gluten-Free Recipes:
Easy Pan Fried Cube Steak Recipe
I can remember my mama cooking this amazing recipe as a kid. So when I started cooking myself, mine was not so tender. I finally decided to ask her the secret to frying tender cube steaks.
Start by seasoning cube steaks with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. And then dredge both sides of cube steak in 1½ cups of gluten-free Cassava flour, covering both side well.
Once they are floured, place them into a hot cast-iron skillet with a tablespoon of organic coconut oil to fry. Brown both sides well. Once browned on both sides, remove and set them aside. THE SECRET – browning on both sides to seals in the juices, keeping the steaks tender!
Lower temperature a bit on skillet and add 4 tsp butter, 1 large onion, and 2 cups of beef broth. Simmer on medium low for 5-7 minutes until onions are tender.
Return browned cube steaks to skillet on medium-low covered cook for about 10 minutes or until steaks are fully cooked. Remove cover and allow to simmer for 5 minutes uncovered. Serve.
- 6 Cube Steaks, thawed
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder - to taste
- 1½ cups Cassava Flour
- 1 TBS Coconut Oil
- 4 tsp Butter
- 1 Large Onion, cut into ½ inch rings
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- Season cube steaks, to taste, with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Then dredge both sides in gluten-free Cassava flour, cover both sides well.
- Melt coconut oil hot cast-iron skillet and sear both sides of steaks. Remove and set aside.
- Reduce heat in skillet to medium-low, add butter, onions, and beef broth. Simmer on medium-low for 5-7 minutes until onions are tender.
- Return seared cube steaks to skillet and cook, covered, on medium-low for 10 minutes or until steaks are fully cooked. Remove cover and allow to simmer for 5 minutes, uncovered. Ready to serve.
Cook time will vary with thickness of steaks
So that’s it. You can be the hero of your family and serve up fresh beef cube steak smothered and covered in tangy onions. And sense the total prep and cooking time is only 30 minutes you can serve up a healthy, southern style steak dinner ready to your family any time.